Welcome to the University of Helsinki LumA Science Education Centre
The goals of the all activities organized by the centre are high level of scientific literacy and knowledge of science and sufficient number of skilled experts in the science fields.
To reach these goals the centres
- inspire and encourage 3–19-year-old children and youths to pick up science as a hobby, in their studies and also as a career,
- support and encourage both current and future teachers and instructors at all levels from kindergarten to university in teaching and in the development and upkeep of their expertise and ability to inspire students throughout their careers
- increase awareness among the general population about the significance of science to the well-being of the individual, the society and the environment
In practice this happens through various activities, like
- science clubs, camps, events, webzines and other activities for children and youth,
- pre-service and in-service training for teachers, and interactive online web portals including videos and other materials as well as science laboratories that support teachers in their work,
- research on the teaching of science and on the effectiveness of the activities, and the development of the activities based on the research, and
- collaboration with decision-makers and media, and especially with other active partners in the field.
The centre belongs to the 'LUMA Centre Finland' which is a national network of different centres at universities around Finland. The network strengthens and advances the operation and co-operation of all these centres - in Finland and on the international level - according to a single, shared strategy.
1 Lu stands for ‘luonnontieteet’, natural sciences in Finnish, and m for mathematics and A for arts.